30 Day Challenge- The Next Challenge

Posted by: | Posted on: May 8, 2014

We are 8 days into the 30 days of May fitness challenge and I know everyone participating is getting their daily 30 minutes of exercise 🙂 Remember to try different forms of fitness, stretch more, foam roll often, and of course be sure you are getting in those all important muscle workouts!!

THE NEXT CHALLENGE:

I want to encourage you to start taking a closer look at your nutritional habits during the remainder of the 30 days. I’ve listed a few things to consider and I hope that you will comply with most, if not all during the remainder of May.

NUTRITION ACTION:

  1. Eat breakfast, followed by a meal every 3-4 hours. You must fuel your body (not starve it) to get your metabolism revving and keep your blood sugar stable starting first thing in the morning. Your body is in a fasted state when you wake up because you have not eaten for 8+ hours. Breakfast = Breaking the fast!!
  2. Have a protein source at every meal. Protein contains the building blocks of what your body needs to build its optimal self. Shoot for 4-6 ounces at every meal; the size of the palm of your hand.
  3. img-thing[1]Eliminate all processed & simple foods. Limit your consumption of over processed, high sugar, low nutrient foods. You want to completely avoid white flour, white sugar, deep fried, or foods that contain hydrogenated oils, additives or food dyes.
  4. Have a fruit or veggie with each meal. Make it a point to have a fruit or veggie at every meal or snack with your protein source.
  5. Eat healthy fats daily. Don’t be afraid of fats! You need good fats in your diet. Plenty of nuts, avocado, olive oil, fish- these are essential to making you healthy. Research has actually shown that Omega 3 fats, the kind found in fish, increase and help regulate your body’s fat burning potential.
  6. Drink mostly water. ½ your body weight in ounces of water every day. Being dehydrated takes away from your exercise performance, leading to decreased results, causes fatigue and increases your cortisol levels; the stress hormone that breaks down muscle tissue. Enjoy coffee and tea in moderation.
  7. Go easy on the alcohol.  More than one drink a day for women, two for men increases, your risk of metabolic syndrome. This means it increases your likelihood of gaining belly fat! Alcohol is a splurge and can be enjoyed during 10%  of your week.
  8. Watch those portions. Keep a close eye on your serving sizes and quantity of food. A handful of this or that a few times a day can add up to a surprising amount of extra calories your body just doesn’t need. Read the labels!
  9. Keep a journal of what you are eating and follow these rules 90% of the time. Keeping a journal will keep you accountable and keep you on track.  Keep in mind that you do not have to be 100%. Give yourself 10% of your week to relax and enjoy life, but stick to the rules the other 90%. You can use an online resource to journal. I’ve listed a few below.

Diet Grader offers excellent tutorials to show you how to use the website and sets you up with an individual calorie goal for the day based off of your daily needs and activity factors using a BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) calculator. Please keep in mind that many people overestimate their activity level from day to day, and this calculator is based off of your weight entered. Therefore, if you are seeking to lose a few pounds you should reduce your current weight by approximately 10% when it asks for your current weight. On days you are less active, it is advised to stay at the lower end of your calorie range and on the more active days you can work toward the higher ranges.

The other app I support is my fitness pal because it takes into account your activity factor for the day as well as what you eat. Unfortunately, it does not give you a nutrition breakdown on your food choices, but I’m sure you will be eating so well that all the foods you enter will be wholesome.

TAKE ACTION:

As you join in this challenge it is important that you are ready to take action, and light a fire in your belly to do the work. Changing the way you think and feel about regular exercise and your relationship with your appetite and nutrition will require steadfast commitment, but will bring you amazing results.

body you are what u eatExercise is not optional in this day and age, nor is poor nutrition. We are what we eat, we are what we do, and we are responsible for our actions. Take this 30 day challenge seriously and take pride in your results!

“If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you!”

Make it a fit, fabulous, fruit and veggie filled rest of your week!

In health and fitness ~ Amy

Enhanced by Zemanta





Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.